Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Spinach Banana Smoothie Pancakes

YUMMY!



Another staple in my household, Spinach Banana Smoothie Pancakes. I'm always trying to find ways to get my kids to eat more veggies. I found this recipe online a few years ago when I was trying to get my son to eat green things, and have tweaked it here and there. I made a double batch of these over the weekend, so I could freeze them for the kids' breakfasts. I just placed them between wax paper, put them in a ziploc freezer bag, freeze, and voila! Easy breakfast. The great thing about spinach is that it's super healthy, and when blended, there's no taste to it, especially when you have ripe bananas in there too.


Single batch...makes about 22 pancakes, using scant 1/4 cup to pour batter.

1 C almond milk, unsweetened
1 very ripe banana
2 C fresh baby spinach
1 C flour (I did 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white)
1 TBSP sugar (I already reduced this from the original 2 TBSP)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
2 TBSP butter, melted  


Syrup and butter for topping, or whatever you'd like. My kids get a few chocolate chips on top.

In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a blender, add milk, banana and spinach and blend until there are no flecks of spinach seen in the mixture. Blend in the egg and butter.

Pour green mixture in with the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Preheat griddle on medium low. Using a 1/4 measuring cup, drop batter onto the griddle. Cook until the tops are bubbly and edges are dry (darker green). Flip and cook another minute or so.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment