Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Maple Carrot Muffins


 

Staying at home on a workday earlier this week because my little one was sick meant I had time to make a batch of Maple Carrot muffins to freeze for breakfast for the kids.  When my son was younger, he was really picky about eating vegetables.  I would scour the internet for recipe ideas to hide veggies inside things.  Pretty soon I came upon this one.  The original recipe called for white flour, white sugar, and vegetable oil, but I substituted it with wheat flour, mostly brown sugar (I like the flavor better), and applesauce to make it somewhat healthier. It was a hit for both my kids (5 and 2.5). They freeze well so it's easy to heat one up when you're on the go during the week.  Who doesn't want kids to eat more veggies?  This recipe makes about 18 regular sized muffins. Enjoy! 

2 C Whole wheat flour
scant 1 C brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 C applesauce
1/2 C maple syrup
3 C grated carrots (about 3 medium carrots)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients. In another bowl, beat eggs, applesauce, and syrup. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in carrots. Fill cups 2/3 full.

 
2. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
 

A closer view of carrots inside

 

No comments:

Post a Comment