Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Cabbage Roll Casserole

I bought cabbage last weekend with the thought that I can chop it up and add it to a salad.  None of the recipes appealed to me though, for some reason.  Maybe because unless it's in coleslaw, I wasn't all that fond of the taste of raw cabbage.  In any case, I went to allrecipes.com, and searched "cabbage."  I decided to try this as I had most of the ingredients.  And it was SUPER EASY.  After cooking the meat, onions, and garlic in my dutch oven, that was it.  I put the rest of the ingredients in and let it bake away.  If you don't have a dutch oven, follow the directions below. 



Ingredients:

2 lbs ground beef (or turkey...I mixed mine)
1 C chopped onions
1 (29oz) can tomato sauce (I used a jar of spaghetti sauce)
3 1/2 pounds of chopped cabbage
1 C uncooked white rice (I used a mix of brown and red)
2  cans (14oz) beef broth
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 
2.  In a large skillet, brown beef in oil over medium high heat until redness is gone. Drain off fat 
3.  In a large mixing bowl combine the onion, tomato sauce, cabbage, rice and salt. Add meat and mix all together. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour broth over meat mixture and bake in the preheated oven, covered, for 1 hour. Stir, replace cover and bake for another 30 minutes. 

I did all of this while heating up food for my kids.  And now we will have a yummy meal for the remainder of the week too!  If you don't want rice, my guess is that you can use cooked quinoa to mix in at the end to substitute for the rice. (I did not try putting uncooked quinoa into the recipe).

No comments:

Post a Comment