Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Italian Style Cauliflower

Someone in one of our accountability groups posted this recipe and said that her family loved it.  I figured that since it's already been tried, I might as well try it for my family.  It's actually a recipe from Cooking Light and it's rather easy.  I did have to adapt the recipe to what I had on hand, as well as to my family's taste.  For example, I didn't include the crushed red pepper because I have young children eating the meal, and I used ground turkey instead of ground sirloin.

It didn't take too long to get this meal on the table, but if I were in a rush, I wouldn't make it unless I had prepped the ingredients beforehand.


Ingredients:

1 TBSP olive oil
1 C chopped onion
4 garlie cloves, minced
6 oz ground turkey
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (I opted out)
1/4 tsp black pepper (I only did a couple of dashes)
1.5 C spaghetti sauce (the recipe called for lower sodium marinara sauce, but I used what I had on hand)
2 oz pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
1.5 lbs cauliflower, cut into florets
cooking spray
1/4 C mounding breadcrumbs (also what I had on hand.  Original recipe called for you to make your own)
1/4 C grated cheese (original recipe called for fresh pecorino Romano cheese--I had shredded mixed cheese so I used that instead)


Prep

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan.  Add onion, cook for 4 minutes.  Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.  Stir in meat. Sprinkle with salt and peppers, and cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.  Stir in sauce and olives.

2. Preheat broiler.

3. Steam cauliflower 4 minutes or until crisp-tender.  (I personally did a bit more than a blanch in boiling water).  Place cauliflower in an 11x7 inch broiler-safe baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with sauce mixture.

4.  If you're making your own bread crumbs, do so in this step.  Combine crumbs and cheese; sprinkle over cauliflower mixture.  Broil 4 minutes or until browned.

Results?  My husband and I loved it.  My son liked it quite a bit, and my 3 year old daughter just liked it.  Haha.  The kalamata olives take some getting use to, so my kids weren't too fond of that (though my son ate them).  This will definitely be a repeat recipe.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment