Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Paleo Banana and Blueberry Pancakes

Another pancake recipe, you say?  But of course!  I feel that my kids don't do breakfast well during the weekdays, which is why I have so many different breakfast recipes.  Aside from my green smoothie pancake found here, my kids vary between eating whole wheat bread with jam, or yummy hawaiian rolls.  I wanted to find another go-to meal for them, so I thought I'd try these out.

Scrolling through the web for ideas, I came across a paleo recipe for pancakes.  There aren't that many ingredients either, and I had most of them, so that made trying them out easier.  Blueberries?  Check!  Ripe bananas? Check!  Eggs?  Check!  I did have to purchase shredded coconut though, so I did that on one of my grocery runs anticipating that I would be making these.

Ingredients:

3 ripe bananas
6 organic eggs
1 Cup shredded coconut (I bought organic unsweetened)
1/2 Cup fresh blueberries (or thawed frozen)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
coconut oil for cooking

Directions
Batter: Peel the bananas and mash with a fork. Beat eggs in a bowl and mix it together with the mashed bananas. Add shredded coconut, blueberries, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.

Cook: Heat coconut oil in frying pan on low to medium (NOTE: be careful of the heat of your pan.  I found that the pancakes burned easily if the pan was too hot).  Pour 3 small portions of pancake batter in the pan at a time, and flip after 2-3 minutes (gauge the timing with the heat of your pan). Serve with shredded coconut and blueberries and dust with cinnamon (optional).

Also note that the blueberries can burst as they are being cooked, so be aware of that.  Overall, the taste was good.  Banana with coconut bits, with an eggy flavor.  I only tasted the blueberries when my bite had blueberries in it or had blueberry juice.  Kids approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment