Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Chicken Fajitas

It's always fun to try out new recipes.  Because of 21 DFX, I've been looking for some that follow the plan.  It's like research...would I make it again?  If so, and when I'm not on the meal plan, how can I make it better?  In any case, I made this according to the recipe and it was delish! 

I didn't have red bell peppers, otherwise I think the picture would have been prettier.  I am no photographer, obviously.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  Also, the tomatoes I used were on the riper side, so the salsa ended up more like a chunky sauce.  Still yummy though.

Makes approximately 4 services, 2 fajitas each

1 tsp               chili powder
1/2 tsp            sea salt or Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp            ground cumin
1/2 tsp            garlic powder
2 tsp               olive oil, divided use
4 (5-6 oz)       raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1                     medium red (or green) bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1                     medium onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp            fresh lime juice
8                     Large romaine (or butter) lettuce leaves
1/2                  Medium avocado, thinly sliced
1 C                  fresh salsa

1. Combine chili powder, salt, cumin, garlic powder, and 1 tsp oil in large resealable plastic bag.
2. Add chicken, bell pepper, and onion; mix gently to coat.  Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
3. Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat
4. Empty contents of bag into skillet; cook, stirring frequently, for 5-6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Remove from heat. Add lime juice.
6. Evenly top lettuce leaves with chicken mixture, avocado, and salsa.

I forgot to add the avocado, and I actually didn't cook this the same day I prepped it.  I prepared this on the weekend, and then used it later in the week.  As a matter of fact, we went to a kid's birthday party right around dinner time.  I knew there would be pizza and that THAT is not 21dfx approved, so I had a couple servings of cottage cheese first, to tie me over.  Once we got home, I cooked this and about 10 minutes later, was eating.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment