It's always fun to try out new recipes. Because of 21 DFX, I've been looking for some that follow the plan. It's like research...would I make it again? If so, and when I'm not on the meal plan, how can I make it better? In any case, I made this according to the recipe and it was delish!
I didn't have red bell peppers, otherwise I think the picture would have been prettier. I am no photographer, obviously. The picture doesn't do it justice. Also, the tomatoes I used were on the riper side, so the salsa ended up more like a chunky sauce. Still yummy though.
Makes approximately 4 services, 2 fajitas each
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp olive oil, divided use
4 (5-6 oz) raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 medium red (or green) bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
8 Large romaine (or butter) lettuce leaves
1/2 Medium avocado, thinly sliced
1 C fresh salsa
1. Combine chili powder, salt, cumin, garlic powder, and 1 tsp oil in large resealable plastic bag.
2. Add chicken, bell pepper, and onion; mix gently to coat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
3. Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat
4. Empty contents of bag into skillet; cook, stirring frequently, for 5-6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Remove from heat. Add lime juice.
6. Evenly top lettuce leaves with chicken mixture, avocado, and salsa.
I forgot to add the avocado, and I actually didn't cook this the same day I prepped it. I prepared this on the weekend, and then used it later in the week. As a matter of fact, we went to a kid's birthday party right around dinner time. I knew there would be pizza and that THAT is not 21dfx approved, so I had a couple servings of cottage cheese first, to tie me over. Once we got home, I cooked this and about 10 minutes later, was eating. Yum.